This month's vintage lover is Milli Hansen of Boise, Idaho.
Milli wrote, "While I'm considerably older than all the rest of your Style Council interviewees, I'm living proof that one is never too old to have fun with great vintage fashions."
I am so happy that Milli decided to write in!
She is a beautiful woman with a very fun sense of style (check out the picture of her with the pink flamingos posted below)
I want to feature women and men of all ages on The Style Council. As well as people from different countries around the world (so, please don't hesitate even if your English isn't very good). The main thing that I look for in vintage lovers is a great sense of style and a passion for vintage fashion! For more info on how to be featured as a member of The Style Council please refer to the bottom of this post.
- How long have you been collecting vintage clothing for?
I've been at it (collecting vintage fashions) now for the past 15 years.
- What got you into vintage clothing?
I needed a fabulous performing gown for a special event and I wore myself out in the department stores. The gowns were expensive, ill fitting and ugly! I happened upon a cute little vintage shop while out walking and my luck turned around completely. They had the most fabulous 1940's gown with sweetheart neckline and peplum over straight skirt. It was a luscious deep pink color. Best of all -It Fit! I felt like a movie star in it. I still have it, it's the prize of my collection.
- What are your favorite eras of clothing?
Mid 20th century. My collection spans the 30's through the early 60's.
- What do you like about clothing from these eras?
The fit. For a time, current fashions were so loose fitting and shapeless. I also love the quality of the construction and detailing of vintage fashions, and the fabrics. I'm a purist when it comes to fabric.
- Who are some of your favorite vintage designers?
Claire McCardell for her functional fashions and Adrian for his use of fabric as an art medium.
- Who are some of your favorite modern designers?
I like the Dolce and Gabbana fashions I see pictured in magazines. They are glamorous and very retro.
- What would be your ultimate vintage find?
A pair of crocodile shoes from the 40's with ankle strap, size 8.
- Where do you do the majority of your vintage shopping- garage, estate and rummage sales, thrift stores, vintage stores, online vintage stores or eBay?
I've never bought on eBay. My collection is from my Mom, vintage shops and estate sales. Then of course sometimes people find out you collect and they will just give you some great things handed down from Great Aunt Loretta.
- Is vintage clothing popular in the city that you live in?
This community has a small but solid group of vintage enthusiasts; an even greater number that appreciate it though they may not be collectors themselves. Whenever I go out dressed in vintage I have total strangers stopping me on the street just to tell me they love my outfit, and that's fairly often. I will go to nearly anything just for a chance to dress up in vintage.
- Who are some of your favorite style icons?My Mom sewed beautifully and always managed to look amazing on a very tight budget.She looked great in shorts and capris paired with Dad's old shirts with tails tied and sleeves rolled up while she did housework. Also Mary H. my babysitter, whom I idolized because she was so cool back in the 50's with her boyfriend's letter sweater and class ring on a chain around her neck. Also worth mentioning are Jackie Kennedy, Audrey Hepburn, Esther Williams. They could pull off any look -sporty, all out glamorous, and in between.
- What are your favorite vintage movies, music and television programs?
I Love jazz standards of the 30's and 40's and will watch any really great costume movie, even if I end up watching by myself because the plot doesn't hold anyone else's interest. I'm too busy for TV.
- Do you collect any other types of collectible or antiques?
Naturally I collect accessories to go with my vintage fashions. I'm always looking for compacts, bags, shoes and costume jewelry. I also like dishes, depression glass and linens.
You too could be featured on Lulu's Vintage Style Council!
Just email me- lulusvintage (at) yahoo.com a photo of yourself wearing vintage (it can be a modern outfit accented with vintage accessories or a complete vintage ensemble) and answer my
This post was originally published on September 2, 2007.