This month's vintage lover is Naomi Thompson (pictured above with her business partner Valentina d' Aguiar) of London, England.
Naomi is the buyer for the online vintage clothing store Vintage Secret
- How long have you been collecting vintage clothing for?
11 years and counting!
- What got you into vintage clothing?
The individuality of each piece compared to the awful standard of clothing found in conventional shops. They are also much better made and make wonderful items to pass on.
- What are your favorite eras of clothing?
1950's and before
- What do you like about clothing from these eras?
The shape and colour used. I also love the amazing patterns that appeared during this era. There is nothing sexier than a full skirt and a nipped in waist. It was a very fun era to be young in.
- Who are some of your favorite vintage designers?
Suzy Perrette/Lombardy, Horrocks, Susan Small, Nettie Vogue, Kitty Copeland, Hattie Carnegie, any thing that was inspired form Dior's New Look.
- Who are some of your favorite modern designers?
None really, the only modern clothes I like are influenced or copied from original vintage designs.
- What would be your ultimate vintage find?
A Hattie Carnegie, Else Schiaparelli, Alice Pollock or Ossie Clark always makes my heart skip a beat.
- Where do you do the majority of your vintage shopping.
Charity shops and boutiques hidden deep in the country side. Sometimes also Paris and Tokyo. I only ever buy what I can feel, touch and see.
- Is vintage clothing popular in the city that you live in?
Absolutely, London is full of vintage which is making it harder to find.
- Who are some of your favorite style icons?
Audrey Hepburn, Bettie Page, 50's pin ups. In fact any women who can pull together a good look or who are partial to hats, gloves and fabulous bags.
- What are your favorite vintage movies, music and television programs?
Fred Astaire, Wanda Jackson, Billie Holiday, Andrews Sisters, Judy Garland and Peggy Lee for the music. La Dolce Vita. The African Queen, Roman Holiday and any type of Film Noir for the films.
- Do you collect any other types of collectibles or antiques?
Jewelry, crockery, especially vintage 50's teacups and tea sets. Any household or personal care trinkets from the 50's and before. I have even started buying children's clothes!
*Thanks to Naomi for answering our Style Council interview questions!
You too could be featured on Lulu's Vintage Style Council!
Just email me- lulusvintage (at) yahoo.com a photo of yourself wearing vintage (it can be a modern outfit accented with vintage accessories or a complete vintage ensemble) and answer my interview questions
This post was originally published on May 4, 2008.